OTHER COOK OFF INFO
APPLICATIONS AND FEES ARE DUE NOVEMBER 15
When: Friday, December 1st
Where: Lake Wailes Park - 33 N Lakeshore Blvd. Lake Wales, FL 33853
Benefiting: Lake Wales Rotary Club
Set Up: Teams may arrive as early as early as 9:00 am on Friday, December 1st.
Tear Down: Teams must be completely torn down by 10:00 pm on Friday, December 1st.
Fees to participate: See below
POC: Angela Iversen | firstname.lastname@example.org | 407-697-4077
TURN - IN, MEETINGS & AWARDS:
4:30 pm - SCA Steak Cooks Meeting - hand out turn-in boxes for all categories & 2 steaks each team
5 pm - FBA BBQ Cooks Meeting - hand out turn-in boxes for all categories and pork butts and pans for those doing People's Choice
5:30 pm - SCA Judges check in and meeting
6 pm - 6:15 pm - Sauce Turn-In
7 pm - 7:30 pm - Steak Turn-in
8 pm - 8 :30 pm - Steak & Sauce awards
11 am - Chicken Turn-in
11:30 am - People's Choice turn-in at PC Tent
12:00 pm - Ribs Turn-in
12 pm - 2 pm - People's Choice Pork Butt sampling/voting
1 pm - Pork Turn-in
2 pm - Brisket Turn-in
3 pm - Dessert turn-in
3 pm - Kids Que Cooks Meeting - hand out turn-in boxes and protein
4 pm - 4:15 pm - Kids Que Turn-In
5 pm - 6 pm - People's Choice/Dessert/Kids Que/BBQ Awards
GENERAL STEAK & ANCILLARY RULES
- The head cook must be a member of SCA by the end of the cooks meeting to be eligible for any added money at events.
- Should a non-member win a SCA event, they will have until 8AM the following Monday to become a member and be invited to the SCA Championship. If the team does not become a member within the allotted time frame, the invitation will be rolled down to the next member in order of placement at the event. The invitation cannot extend past 10th place. If there is not an invite in the top ten then the invitation will be awarded at the end of the year as an “At large bid” from the points list.
- SCA events are judged by a panel of judges and will be in a “blind judging” format.
- Each team is required to have some type of fire extinguishing device in their cook site.
- The head cook of a team must be 18 years old.
- If a team pre-pays for an event but does not make it to the event they receive 1 point for that event.
- Head cooks may only enter 1 entry into the steak category.
- Head cooks may enter more than one entry into an ancillary category.
- The Cookoff promoter/organizer will provide all the rib-eye steaks for the event.
- Turn in times will be announced at cooks meeting and cannot be changed once announced.
- Reasons for DQ: Ribeye steaks other than the ones provided for the event found in team area, a steak or ancillary turn in after the time window has expired, a non-signed ticket presented at awards, a folded foil disk or any foreign object found in the turn in box, issued steaks are removed from the teams cooking area.
- Teams must sign the turn in ticket at time of turn in.
- Teams are subject to random ice chest inspections by any SCA Representative.
- SCA does not allow spouses of the SCA Rep to cook in an event the spouse is running, other family members of the SCA Rep are allowed to compete in the event.
- SCA Kids Challenges are for kids 4-17 years of age. Parents may help build the fire.
- Should there be a tie after all tie breakers, the two teams would split the combined financial payout from the two payouts. Example: If 1st place is $1000 and 2nd place is $500. Then the two teams would split $1500. The team behind them would become 3rd place etc.
SAUCE COMPETITION RULES
- You may decorate the turn in box with edible garnish only but garnish is not part of the Appearance score.
- Desserts must be cooked on site.
- Dessert must be turned in using the provided box and lid must close completely.
- You must turn in a minimum of 6 pieces or bites of your dessert for judging.
- Dessert will be judged on Taste, Originality, and Appearance.
- The order of tie breakers for desserts is: Taste, Originality, and Appearance.
SCA KIDS CHALLENGE RULES
- Meat will be provided by the event based upon pre-registration of cookers. No guarantee of meat availability for on-site entries. On-site entrants may not provide their own meat if event sponsored meat is no longer available.
- Parents please understand that this is a KIDS CHALLENGE! Parental supervision is required. However, the child should be responsible for prepping, seasoning, cooking, and presenting their entry. Guidance from parents is acceptable but please respect the rules and allow the kids to be the head cooks.